Monday, March 18, 2013

Kiln People

“...where were answers to the truly deep questions? Religion promised those, though always in vague terms, while retreating from one line in the sand to the next. Don't look past this boundary, they told Galileo, then Hutton, Darwin, Von Neumann, and Crick, always retreating with great dignity before the latest scientific advance, then drawing the next holy perimeter at the shadowy rim of knowledge.” 

 The first Sci Fi book I ever read was by David Brin.  I was hooked instantly and quickly became immersed in the the Uplift Trilogy, and a love affair with Sci Fi was born.

So picking up a Brin Sci Fi novel is a big deal for me.  I have been holding on to this one for a while and looking forward to savouring every page. 

I didn't. Savor ever page that is.  It was over all a little disappointing.  Still a great read and I did enjoy it but it certainly didn't engross me the way some of his other novels have.  I often get to the end of a good Sci Fi book or trilogy and wish there was more.  However by the end of Kiln People I felt like 20% could have been cut and it would have been a better book. 

I am still glad I read the book.  It was good entertainment and was thought provoking in places.  In particular I enjoyed his exploration of the nature of identity.

No comments: