Monday, May 9, 2011

The Ethics of What We Eat

"We can make better choices." 

This book has been sitting on my book shelf for about 4 years.  I have put off reading it because I knew that when I did I would need to make some changes.    And I did.

The book starts from the view point of the dinner table and shopping habits of three families: “Typical American Diet”, “The Conscientious Omnivores” and “The Vegans”.   


I think that the eating style of the families represents most of the spectrum of family eating patterns, and I think any reader would find a lot they could identify with in the concerns expressed by the families.  From budget constraints, to lack of time, to struggles in balancing good nutrition with the children’s taste buds.



The consequences of the families' food choices are investigated.  The families are all treated respectfully, but it is made very apparent that some food choices are having terrible consequences which can be considered ethically wrong, even if unintended.

Although Singer is well know for his animal rights activism the book does not focus narrowly on the impact our food choices have on animals.  Instead a broad range of issues is considered including the environment, poverty, equality, and fairness.  I was particularly impressed that the complexity of the issues is presented, rather than broad, generalizations with overstated easy solutions. 

I found that the format worked very well as it made the information seem so relevant and applicable.  The book is well researched, extensively referenced and presented in very readable style.

Singer and Mason present a compelling argument that inspired and motivated me rather than making me feel guilty - and that is not an easy balance to find.  I highly recommend this book to, well, everyone.  We all eat!  And, to echo the authors, we can all make better choices.

No comments: